The Letters of Roy J. Diehl (Jay Roy Diehl)

From 1917-1919, Roy J. Diehl, a railroad worker from Pennsylvania, wrote a series of letters to Stella Custer, his future wife, while he was enlisted in the 281st Aero Squadron. Most published letter collections consist of letters penned by men of education, rank, or fame. Roy J. Diehl was neither highly educated, highly ranked, nor famous, but his letters provide an interesting and valuable look at the life of an ordinary enlisted man, untainted by the notion that he may be writing to a wide audience or that anything beyond his relationship with Stella, his future betrothed, rests on what he says. Still, his letters display the usual characteristics of war-time correspondence; Sergeant Diehl omits potentially sensitive information about activities in his Squadron, treats probably disgusting or horrific situations with a certain amount of nonchalance, speaks in cliches of patriotism, and continually thinks of movement and distance.

April 10, 2011

France, March 10, 1919

Two things make this letter particularly interesting. first is the use of pseudonym "pushing up daisies" to mean "dead"--very in keeping with soldiers' general avoidance of directly describing unpleasant thoughts or experiences. Second is Roy's reference to the French women some of the "boys" were bringing back to the States and his avowal that he certainly doesn't see the appeal. One imagines that he hopes to comfort Stella and reassure her of his interest.

My Dear Friend:

Perhaps by the time you receive this letter you will have begun to think that I have forgotten you, started home; or, perhaps you will be thinking I am 'pushing up daisies.' Well certainly I am not pushing up daisies yet, for I am still very much alive. I haven't started home, sorry to say, nor have I forgotten you. I hardly know what kind of an excuse to offer for not writing but I will say that I started four or five letters and finished none of them simply because I was too disgusted with things to write letters. I could have written letters but I know you would not have enjoyed reading it. Not that I feel you are going to enjoy this letter but I will at least try to make it as pleasant as possible.

For one thing: I know I am not getting all of my mail. I got your letter of February 16th and also, I got the picture about two weeks ago, and I surely thank you for it. And you say you are sorry it is so unworthy of the wait. Well, I am not, though it was hard to wait for it. But then it was like you said of coming home, all the more appreciated when we do get it. Ha. Ha!

I have not yet received the papers you mailed nor the conclusion of that story, but have not yet lost hope. Anyway I want to thank you for them now and hope to still receive them. I have now several articles I want you to have, but since the mail seems so uncertain I hate to take a chance. I may send them later. If I do, I will be sure to tell you. If I do not send them I will bring them with me when I come home. If I ever do get home again. Ha. Ha! It surely does not look like getting home for some time, anyway.

Puzzle: What are you girls going to do when there are so many French girls coming home? I believe I could answer that better if I were able to speak to you personally. One thing I know. No one needs worry about me bringing any French girl back to the States, and I do not think much of any ones taste in bringing one back. They have got to be a whole lot nicer than any I have yet seen, before I bring any back. I prefer a girl to whom I can talk or who can talk to me for I am a poor conversationalist. Ha. Ha!

Sorry to hear of Elizabeths illness again but hope she is fully recovered by this time. I am glad to know you received the 'Stars and Stripes.' I sent you three, I think. But we cannot seem to get any up here. We have no Y.M.C.A. anymore. Haven't had any since we came to Briey. I sent you several copies of 'Le Mirrors' which I thought you might perhaps be interested in. Am also going to put several cards in with this letter. I sent some cards home some time ago but I do not think they ever received them for they said nothing about them.

I hope your visit to Claysburg was as enjoyable as the one I remember but wish I could have been there to help entertain you. The rest of the boys in my barracks are talking about a 'hobnail barrage' this evening so I had better close before they start it. When such a thing is pulled off the best thing one can do is get his hands on as many hobnail shoes as he can and get into it. They throw shoes, boots, stools, wash pans and anything they can get hold of. The last one we had we knocked out all the lights, broke up the stove, knocked down the stove pipe and did all sorts of damage! It was fun while it lasted but the next morning there was some scrambling to get our shoes and get out to Reville. You see we must have some sort of amusement sometimes. Ha. Ha!

I'll close. Most Sincerely Yours,

Roy Sgt Roy J. Diehl

281st Aero Sqdn Amer E.F. France

No comments:

Post a Comment