The Letters of Roy J. Diehl (Jay Roy Diehl)

From 1917-1919, Roy J. Diehl, a railroad worker from Pennsylvania, wrote a series of letters to Stella Custer, his future wife, while he was enlisted in the 281st Aero Squadron. Most published letter collections consist of letters penned by men of education, rank, or fame. Roy J. Diehl was neither highly educated, highly ranked, nor famous, but his letters provide an interesting and valuable look at the life of an ordinary enlisted man, untainted by the notion that he may be writing to a wide audience or that anything beyond his relationship with Stella, his future betrothed, rests on what he says. Still, his letters display the usual characteristics of war-time correspondence; Sergeant Diehl omits potentially sensitive information about activities in his Squadron, treats probably disgusting or horrific situations with a certain amount of nonchalance, speaks in cliches of patriotism, and continually thinks of movement and distance.

April 10, 2011

March 23, 1919

This letter has an interesting combination of patriotism and self-consciousness. Roy doesn't want the Germans shown any pity and wishes the League of Nations would quit squabbling over terms. Yet, at the same time, Roy recognizes that his criticism largely comes from a strong desire to just go home.

My Dear Friend:

Took a notion to write a letter or two this evening but do not know how many I will get written. I owe four or five letters but am quite sure I shall not get that many written, anyway.

I want to thank you for the North Americans you sent me. Those two were the first real newspapers I read since last August and I sure did read them all through. One had a very good editorial in it and I agree with the man who wrote it. I say get the peace terms made up and bring the Huns to their knees and then discuss the League of Nations. Everyday the Hun gets the more confident he feels and he fakes up such excuses as needing food in order to get the best possible terms from the Allies. I say make them get to work and earn their living and perhaps the fighting and squabbling among themselves will stop. They will soon begin to think the Yanks will be foolish enough to feed the world and the Huns and Bolsheviks free of charge. It looks so to me. I may be all wrong for there are far wiser men than I working to solve such things. You see we boys over here have lots of time to think about such things and of course blame everybody and everything for not getting us home. One thing I believe: that is there are going to be some queer political views when the whole A.E.F. gets home.

A bunch of us were out taking pictures this afternoon and if they turn out good there should be some great pictures. I'll see how they are and if any good will send you one or two. I am hoping they will be good for we were all togged up for some of them and were in some old trenches.

For the past week the weather here has been a little better. The mud was beginning to dry up, but this evening it is raining again. I suppose winter in the States is about over and you should soon be having nice warm weather.

Well, I hope I may soon be able to enjoy some of it with you. I had some hopes that I might be home by May thirtieth and I sure was hoping that you had the right notion when you said you thought I would be home some time in May, and I still hope that you were right but it begins to look doubtful. If there no signs of going home soon I shall make it July Fourth and hope to be home by then.

I cannot think of much to write. There is little or nothing doing around here. I am still driving but have very little to do, so I have not been getting around very much lately. I am hoping that we soon make a move one way or another. For as long as we stay over here we might better be moving about a little. Things get monotonous if we are at one place any length of time, especially a place like this. Briey is only a little town and no place to go, really. No Y.M.C.A. within fifteen miles. No other troops anyways near any more except some Colored Engineer companies.

Think I would better close. Stop this gloomy letter. Ha. Ha! In my spare time I am doing a little work on a picture frame which I am going to send you if you wish to have it--and if I think it is worth sending. Ha. Ha! I am cutting it out of a French spad propellor.

Well, it is almost time for 'lights out' and I see I shall get no more letters written tonight. I'll close this one though.

Most Sincerely,

Roy D.

Sgt Roy J Diehl
281st Aero Sqdn Amer E.F. France

No comments:

Post a Comment