The Letters of Roy J. Diehl (Jay Roy Diehl)

From 1917-1919, Roy J. Diehl, a railroad worker from Pennsylvania, wrote a series of letters to Stella Custer, his future wife, while he was enlisted in the 281st Aero Squadron. Most published letter collections consist of letters penned by men of education, rank, or fame. Roy J. Diehl was neither highly educated, highly ranked, nor famous, but his letters provide an interesting and valuable look at the life of an ordinary enlisted man, untainted by the notion that he may be writing to a wide audience or that anything beyond his relationship with Stella, his future betrothed, rests on what he says. Still, his letters display the usual characteristics of war-time correspondence; Sergeant Diehl omits potentially sensitive information about activities in his Squadron, treats probably disgusting or horrific situations with a certain amount of nonchalance, speaks in cliches of patriotism, and continually thinks of movement and distance.

March 24, 2011

Technical Difficulties

Hello, loyal followers. I was due to post a letter mid-March, but, due to the fact that my computer can no longer do much more than heat up my desk, I've been unable to. Luckily, I have found the thumb drive on which I stored a copy of my project, and I will post the letter in the next 24 hours using my dear husband's computer, which functions (mostly).

Katherine

No comments:

Post a Comment